Invalidating pension armed forces

Qualifying service includes your paid service plus certain other periods, for example service aggregated from the AFPS 1975, service transferred into the AFPS 2005 and service on secondment to NATO/UN. Reckonable service is the service which counts towards the calculation of your pension.For an Officer this starts at age 21, or date of entry if later, for a maximum of 34 years (AFPS 1975) or 40 years (AFPS 2005).If you have service in the armed forces between 6 April 1975 and 5 April 2005 you will be contributing to the Armed Forces Pension Scheme 1975 (AFPS 1975), unless you chose to move to the Armed Forces Pension Scheme 2005 (AFPS 2005) during the ‘Offer to Transfer’.

If you joined the armed forces after 6 April 2005 you will be contributing to the Armed Forces Pension Scheme 2005 (AFPS 2005). You do not have to make any contributions to join the scheme but forces pay is set taking into account the fact that contributions are not required to be made towards the pension scheme. In the AFPS 1975 your pension is calculated with reference to your rank and length of service.

In the AFPS 2005 your pension is calculated as 1/70th of final pensionable earnings for each year or service, up to a maximum of 40 years of reckonable service.

The scheme regulations should always take precedence over third party guidance.

There are two Armed Forces Pension Schemes, operating concurrently.

There is one resettlement policy process that applies to all personnel who are subject to Medical Discharge.

There are different levels of support and timing of access is dependent upon the level of need of the individual, and Royal Navy, Army and Royal Air Force procedures which are different for each Service.

Guidance for the Armed Forces Pension Scheme - 19 sections.

Links are provided to enable you to access more detailed information on the scheme.

The route you will follow is determined according to your medical condition/prognosis and individual needs.

Regardless of the route followed, you are entitled to: If you have an Individual Recovery Plan (IRP) you can also get earlier access to Enhanced Learning Credits (ELC) where this has been identified as suitable.

Your resettlement needs under Medical Discharge are taken care of either under the standard Career Transition Partnership (CTP) route, or the Recovery Career Services (RCS) route.